Sunday, July 12, 2015

How I became a frugal grandma

     Welcome to my blog.  Sit down, have a cup of coffee, tea, or wine.  I will entertain you with the tales of how I became a frugal grandma.  My first stab at being shop savvy was not very successful.  Well at least not to my mother.  I thought I had done great!  Mom sent me shopping for a dress for high school graduation.  She gave me $100 and told me to shop wisely.   This was 1979, so $100 made me feel rich.  I spent hours at the mall trying to find the right dress (I hated and still hate dresses).  Finally I found one I could tolerate and it was ON SALE!  It was regularly $99, but was marked down to $59!  I purchased the dress and then rushed down to my favorite music store and bought $40 worth of records!  I was in heaven.  My mother tried to explain to me that saving $40, then spending it was not a savings.
     Soon I moved out on my own and truly learned how to shop sales, clip coupons, etc.  Once I had a family I tried to find ways not only to save money, but to earn it and still be a stay at home mom.  I tried stuffing envelopes, took too much time and made very little money.  I tried phone soliciting for a local charity...  Definitely not for the faint of heart. People really hate anyone calling, even for charity.  Next up was secret shopping.  It was really enjoyable but there was no way to make much money unless you were able to line up a lot of jobs in the same area at the same time.  I tried doing that with a fast food place and ended hating roast beef sandwiches for a long time.
   Now I am older, disabled, taking care of my 25 yr old severely disabled daughter and raising four of my grandchildren.  Recently I've discovered reviewing products.  Sellers will send you products for free or deeply discount in exchange for your honest review.  What's the catch?  So far, nothing that I can see.  Now I have to admit, at first I took every product offered.  But I now only take things I can really use or gift to someone.  I have a box I am getting ready to send to my sisters nursing home.  They play bingo every week and need prizes.  So as soon as I fill this box I will ship it off and start another.
   That's it for now.  Later I will post some if the items I am reviewing.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful, Susie!! So proud of you! You will do great at reviewing and will wind up with lots of great stuff! Welcome to the world of posting your writing for all the world to see. Nothing more humbling...

    Yay you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete